4.0

Purchased a large bottle of Kirkland Signature Ultra Clean Premium Laundry Detergent from Costco a few months ago.This brand is all I've used for the last number of years.

It was stored in a dry cupboard in a dry, main floor laundry room, and is used often. We do about ten loads of laundry a week. When the bottle was nearly empty, my husband poured the remaining contents into a jar so that we could recycle the bottle. A large clump of slimy mold came out of the bottle, and when we checked inside there was lots of black mold inside the container.

I have been washing my family's laundry with moldy laundry detergent for I don't know how long. It's disgusting.

I have three small children and thought I was making a good choice for them by using laundry detergent with no scent and no dye.I will never purchase this detergent again, and recommend to anyone that if you have a bottle of this in your laundry room, remove the cover and look inside.

Review about: Kirkland Signature Ultra Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Find out if produce recall is necessary..

Had an Experience with Kirkland Signature?

Comments

Hanover, Pennsylvania, United States #1337072

Virtually any detergent, laundry, dish, or otherwise, has a mild antimicrobial added to it to extend its shelf life.Did you check the date on the bottle before you purchased it?

If it was out of date when you bought it, then the store was negligent in not pulling it from the shelf.

Many "additive free" products do not have these safeguards added to them, and as such mold, bacteria, and other things can grow in them more quickly. Sadly, the idea of going "green" or "safe" sometimes means we risk a much shorter viable shelf life for products.

If the cap is used to measure out the detergent, and then put back on the bottle while still wet, that can be all it takes to start a mold or bacterial bloom in the bottle.

Try using a separate measuring cup so the cap is never put wet on the bottle.

(If it's any consolation - which I know it's not - the microbial species that tend to haunt phosphate-rich environments are usually non-pathogenic and will not harm you in any way.Plus, if you clothes are completely dry after the dryer cycle, the mold or bacteria has been killed and is no longer of concern)

I am not defending the moldy product - but I am saying that if we make a conscious choice to try for "healthier" living, that means we must also be aware of the limitations involved as well.

to AMRT Specialist Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada #1337079

Thanks. The spout has a push button and I only use the cap to measure the detergent; it was never put back on the bottle wet. The spout is self sealing so no need for the cap to be placed on it.

There is no date on the bottle.

to Anonymous Charlotte, North Carolina, United States #1337352

There should be a stamp of some sort, even coded, that tells you when the product was manufactured and/or its use-by date.If it's a coded stamp, you can usually find manufacturer-specific codes online.

These codes are used to track problems (a specific batch that may have contaminants, for example) and for rotation to make sure old product is sold before newer product.No oil- or detergent-based product should EVER be sold without a stamp of some sort.